The following notes are from a presentation I gave to the staff of Camp Tall Turf this past summer. This was part of a panel presentation/discussion dealing with Tall Turf’s perspective on and approach to evangelism and witnessing.
Old Model New (Old) Model
Evangelists as salespeople —> Witnesses as Travel Guides
Sales Call/Close Deal —> Conversations with Friends
Conversion as Event —> Conversion as Journey or Process
Either In or Out —> Moving toward or away
Formula/Script oriented —> Common ground/interest oriented
Agenda —> Friendship
Focus on eternal destiny —> Knowing, Loving, Serving God
Witness as individuals —> Witness as a community
Share gospel all the time —> Attention to Holy Spirit”nudges”
Arguing or trying to convince —> Sharing our personal stories
Believe and then Belong —> Belonging before Believing
Witnessing with the Holy Spirit
“The Holy Spirit is always and everywhere the first and primary Witness. We are partners and collaborators with the Holy Spirit….the first tasks…are learning to listen to God and collaborate with the Holy Spirit.” (p. 34 in Re-Imagining Evangelism, by Rick Richardson)
Pray, Pray, Pray
- Pray for opportunities.
- Pray for other Christians.
- Ask and depend on the Holy Spirit to speak through you and to the heart of the hearer/observer
- Pray for people with whom you have spiritual conversations.
A Few Examples from Scripture
- Jesus and the Samaritan woman: John 4:7-30
- Jesus and the man blind from birth: John 9 1-11 / 24-38
- Paul in Athens – Acts 17 22-23