|RJI News ~ Winter 2011|
PRFC is recruiting volunteers to be assessors in the Standards and Credentialing process. Organizations go through a process to assess themselves in six areas (standards) to intentionally create a racism-free environment. Assessors are on a team that do a site visit with an organization, meet with their team to discuss strengths and areas of improvement for the organization and then meet again with the organization to go over a feedback form. A training will be held on Friday, January 28, 2011 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Steelcase University (901 44th St. SE). Call Lisa Mitchell at 643-0227 or email email@example.com to register or if you have questions.
Volunteer assessors should:
- Plan on 2-3 reviews a year – each review is about 8-10 hours of time
- Plan or have some experience in diversity, cultural competency or anti-racism work/events
- Have attended an Institute for Healing Racism or some similar training (not required but desired)
- Be able to work collaboratively in a small team setting
- Be willing to be open and flexible to new information
- Be able to listen, review facts objectively, and communicate thoughts and ideas orally with clarity
- Be able to engage in negotiable dialogue/debat
Attend an Institute for Healing Racism
We still have openings in our January 20/21 Community Institute for Healing Racism! Please click here to register.
It is our belief that the Institutes for Healing Racism model of working on racial relationships have great value for the people of our community. The discipline and focus provided by these dialogues will begin the healing for all participants, regardless of ethnicity. This step of greater awareness and sensitivity links naturally to action steps which will have an impact on the quality of life for everyone in our community.
GRACE/RJI Institutes for Healing Racism address the history and reality of racism and its impact, institutional racism, white privilege, healing, and promote movement into commitment and action.
Generally, the schedule runs on Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Light refreshments are available beginning at 8:00 a.m. and lunch is provided.
The cost for this Institute is $200 per person (non-profit) or $300 (for profit) and $100 for students.
All Sessions are scheduled at:
Dominican Center (at Marywood)
2025 East Fulton, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Questions? Email Jennifer at the GRACE office.